Monday, November 12, 2007

Veterans Day

I recently attended a social studies professional development day. One of the speakers for the event really stressed the idea that we need to be cautious of who we consider to be "heroes" in today's society. Many people look up to celebrities or athletes who really should not qualify as a hero.

While that topic might be debatable, one thing is not. The need for us to support and honor our veterans in this country. They truly are the heroes.

This is a link to a video clip I recently saw which highlights the importance of veterans in our society.

http://www.military.com/VeteransDay/VeteransDayTribute.html

2 comments:

R G Dewar said...

I have and have had a number of heroes in my life. Many wore uniforms, but not sports uniforms. Many did not realize that they were heroes, and I often wish I had let them know when I had the chance.
What did the heroes in my life all have in common? A willingness to sacrifice for others. The ability to stand up to their fears and perform anyway. A sense of calm and ability to act when it all hit the fan. We need more people like that.

NHS Student Council said...

That was a nice video, a very meaningful one. It reminds us that there are people out there that give their services to benefit everyone else. They're very selfless and brave ... it's good that we have people like that in our world.