Saturday, March 29, 2008

American Idols? Are you sure?




I recently had an interesting discussion with one of my history classes regarding what the music industry is currently trying to classify as "music." The discussion started because were were talking about the origins of rock and roll in the 1950's with stars like Elvis, Buddy Holly, Fats Domino, Bill Haley, Little Richard, etc.

I half expected the class to be turned off by some of the 1950's music that I played. To my pleasant surprise, most students seemed to at least appreciate the fact that this stuff was life-changing for the people listening to it in the 50's and how it would pave the way for future decades of music.

We then decided to talk about the themes of music in the 50's in comparison with music that is popular in 2008. That led to the topic of American Idol being brought up. As a huge music fan myself, I can appreciate the talent that some American Idol contestants possess. However, on the whole, many of them possess no musical talent aside from having a good voice. They are winning a karaoke contest on national TV. They aren't singing their own songs, and when they do make it big thanks to the show, many of them go on to produce albums of music that they don't write themselves. Nothing worse than stereotypical, corporately produced pop music that guys in suits think American teenagers will sympathize with.

I was also surprised (and pleased) that most students in my class agreed that they don't tend to respect the American Idol stars. Again, I respect the fact that they have good voices, but when they are able to write and produce their own creative music that doesn't sound like every other band in the world, thats when I will start to pay attention.

What are your thoughts on Idol?

7 comments:

JUN10RS! said...

okay AI is where its at! go david archuleta!

Atreyu said...

Okay, first off, why don't we do amazing stuff like listen to music in class? And second, normally I don't watch American Idol, or I don't follow it. I like to watch the auditions, but that's normally it. I always refuse to listen to music if I know that they didn't contribute to the writing part of the album. Since my parents are older, which obviously makes my aunts and uncles older, which means at family events, we normally listen to the music they grew up listening to which is from the 50's-70's. I really like Chuck Berry, the Temptations, and Blue Oyster Cult. As for today, I feel bad for anyone who idolizes Paris Hilton or anyone of the sort. The type of person to mooche off their parents and get famous for sex tapes and hard partying is not anyone worth any type of respect. She's never done anything worth being famous for. She made one horrible album. That's it. I'm just using her as one of the most obvious examples, but there are a ton more that just need to either go away or do something respectable with their lives.

R G Dewar said...

Actually, the picture Mr Paulus shows is from the actual Buddy Holly concert he attended.

JUN10RS! said...

....i happen to love paris hilton!

School To Career said...

I know this is an older bog but I was thinking about this the other day while listening to the radio. How can you compare these kids on idol to the likes of women who write and sing their own music such as Sarah McLaughlin and Tori Amos, never mind the classics like the beetles and Buddy Holly. I was listening to U2 and the Cranberry's at the time when I remembered your blog. Not only did they write it but the political significant is mind blowing (I recognize this as a second generation Irish American). Who knows, they may find a diamond in the rough but I doubt any Jon Mayers are going emerge from that “American Idol” bunch. Enjoy it for the sensational entertainment it is.

Nicole N. said...

I think Idol is wayyy over rated. Half of the people I don't belive are really artists to begin with. They just see it as an easy way to fame. Elvis and Johnny Cash would not have been caught dead taking criticism from Simon Cowell. He is a babbling buffoon, so many of those contestants spend so much time preparing just to get shot down by Simon, who died and made him king?

Nicole N.

Nicole N. said...

I personally think Idol is way over rated. I don't think that half of the people who audition are really artists to begin with. Johnny Cash and Elvis would not have been caught dead taking criticism from Simon Cowell.