Monday, September 24, 2007

Get involved

This past Saturday I had the opportunity to participate in a "team building" day with some of my fellow teachers from Norton High School. The focus of the session was to build leadership skills as well as to get a chance to become more comfortable with some of the teachers I see on a daily basis but might not necessarily know as well as I should. I think my leadership skills could definitely use a boost so the opportunity was a good one for me personally. The opportunity to get to know other staff members is also great especially for the newer teachers like myself. This was actually the 3rd team building session that I have attended with Norton High School students and staff members in the past year.

Why am I telling you this?

Because it wasn't long ago that I was in high school and I never got involved in these types of activities. When Mr. Dewar interviewed me for a position at Norton High School, I had noted to him that I was eager to get involved in some different activities around school for the simple reason that I never had much of an opportunity to do so when I was at that age. My parents told me well in advance of graduating high school that a good portion of my college education would have to be paid by me. Knowing I wanted to go to college, I got myself a job and worked as many hours as I possibly could and saved as much as I could.

The positive side of that? I was able to go to the college of my choice and I'm proud to say I have no student loans remaining. The negative? Well as I stated earlier, working 40+ hours a week in high school didn't allow me the flexibility to get involved in many after-school activities. Oh sure I did a few things, but not to the degree I would have liked.

It wasn't until after I graduated college where I really looked back and wondered what might have been had I had more opportunities to get involved. The biggest thing I wondered is how many more friendships and relationships could I have forged? Would it have changed my opinions of staff and other students that I already knew? Who knows how it could have changed my life.

Luckily for me, I'm back in the high school environment and I'm going to have the chance to take advantage of some of the many opportunities that come up. I've got a chance for redemption.

My suggestion to you? If you aren't involved in something within the school, DO IT! Its not too late. I would have never guessed that 5 years after graduating high school, I would be thinking back upon the things I didn't do. Don't make the same mistake. There are plenty of opportunities out there. Even if you don't have a ton of time, theres always something you can do to get involved.

Who knows...you might just learn something about somebody you thought you already knew. Yourself.

4 comments:

anonymous said...

It's true. The more you get involved and do things for the community, the more you are helping yourself. It’s always good to do things out of your comfort zone (so you can become uncomfortable) but also so you can learn something about yourself. No one likes to live with regret, so just have to take a deep breath and do what needs to be done.

But sometimes regret is good…if you learn from your mistakes. In fact, sometimes regret is very good, because you realize how you can improve yourself. So if you can change your life for the better, don’t be afraid to do it. Why spend the rest of your life wondering how something could be? Do something now that could change it forever.

R G Dewar said...

Mr. Paulus, you have only just begin getting involved, if I have my say. This is all a warm up, and so far, you have been up to the task.
The best part of team building is found in the name.

Anonymous said...

Hey Mr. Paulus, I was just looking at your blog and think that it's actually very interesting that you have decided to come back to high school to not only pursue a teaching career, but also to make up for what you never had while you yourself were in high school.

I don't think that it was necessarily a bad thing that you had to work all those hours during high school, especially for the reason that you were doing it. I think that it's great you worked that hard to pay your own way in college!!! And no loans??? Go you!!!

I myself, happen to take part in a great deal of sports and clubs such as Peer Leaders, Student Council, National Honor Society, Cross Country, Winter Track, and Softball, and work on the weekends at the YMCA in Norton.

However, despite the number of things that I take part in, I'd have to say that the number is not half as important as what you take from the experience. If you worked hard at a job after school throughout your high school career and got something from it (in your case making it on your own to the college of your dreams), then in the end it's all worth it.

I think it's awesome that you have that kind of mindset to do it all, and leave no questions of "what if's" hanging around after all is said and done.

-Stephanie Bryant
Period (E)

Mr. Paulus said...

Thanks for reading and being brave enough to respond! I appreciate your thoughts.