Sunday, September 30, 2007

Random notes

A couple of thoughts as we near the end of a beautiful fall weekend...

First off, I want to extend thanks and appreciation to the Attleboro YMCA for once again holding a team building session this past Saturday at Camp Finberg. I have to admit that this was probably my favorite out of all the sessions I have been to thus far. Its pretty neat to have gone through several sessions with the same group and see the cohesiveness and unity really start to come through. The activites we participated in were much more physically demanding than ones we've done in the past and it required the utmost in trust and teamwork. I think just about everybody left Saturday with a nice feeling of accomplishment. And to see Mr. Barth go flying into a briar patch was pretty special also.

I also wanted to pose a question to students about field trips. A senior in one of my psychology classes mentioned to me this past week that he has never been outside the walls of Norton High School in the 3+ years he's been here. Mr. Dewar also mentioned to me that its not uncommon for that to happen. Personally, I think thats a bit of a shame. Having the opportunity to take learning on the road and see it in action can be such a great and memorable experience. Its safe to say that students forget many things they've learned after they graduate high school, but I'd be willing to bet that field trips are not one of them. I can recall with great clarity some of the cool places I got to see while in high school and I think all students should be given that chance. I'm looking into a couple of different trips for some of my students this year.

How do you feel about field trips? What are some of the memorable ones you've been on in your academic career? Where would you like to go before you graduate?

7 comments:

Atreyu said...

Students love field trips.

Atreyu said...

I forgot to wish you a happy birthday, although it's almost over.

Mr. Paulus said...

Well thank you...whoever you might be

Atreyu said...

I'd tell you, but then you'd think I was crazy.

Rachel said...

i think feild trips are a really good idea. everyone loves them and its sad that we cant really have them in high school like we did in middle school

xXpunkrockXx said...

yea it's a shame this school doesn't have many field trips. Especially since a lot of this country's history happened near where we live. I think going on a field trip this year's a great idea.

JUN10RS! said...

Field trips are good! How does a class of 2010 field trip sound like?! Maybe to a redsox game? Hmmm, that sounds familiar.