Sunday, October 7, 2007

Columbus Day

So we've reached the first "long" weekend of the 2007-2008 school year. We can all agree that 3 day weekends are great, right? But can anybody tell me why we celebrate Columbus Day?

So in 1492, he sailed the ocean blue, right? Or did he? How was the story of Columbus taught to you in elementary school? Was he portrayed as a hero? More than likely.

I'll make this a quick post but I'll ask you to follow this link to an article written by Jack Weatherford, author of "Indian Givers."

http://www.thepeoplespaths.net/Articles2000/Weatherford0010Columbus.htm

Mr. Weatherford is one of many historians who wish that the true story of Columbus be put out in the mainstream for people to read. Anyone who has read "Lies My Teacher Told Me" is also familiar with the information Weatherford has laid out.

Let me know your thoughts on Columbus, especially after reading what Weatherford has to say.

No comments: