Tuesday, February 12, 2008

WWII veterans

I recently had the pleasure of welcoming Mr. Herb Church into my classroom to speak to my students about what it was like living and serving in the World War II era. I am creating this post specifically to get feedback from the students who were present in the room and to encourage more of you to appreciate what those soldiers did for this country and the world.

Mr. Church presented a wealth of information about his personal story including people he met, tragedies he witnessed, and his voyage across the world. Unfortunately, it won't be long before there won't be any WWII veterans left to tell these stories. Of the 16 million who served, less than 4 million are still alive and veterans from that war are dying at a rate of 1,056 a day. I encourage you to find out if you have any veterans in your lives who you might be able to speak with regarding their personal stories.

For the students who were present, what did you think? Would you be interested in having veterans from Korea, Vietnam, or Desert Storm come in later this year?

4 comments:

Cind897 said...

I think Mr. Church was sorta boring. No offence! I thought he talked a lot. I did think it was cool at how he still keeps in touch with all of his old friends from the navy.

I think that he was pretty brave. He joined the navy when he was only 17 years old! That is young.

I also liked the part where he mentioned Pearl Harbor and how after 3 years after the attack it still looked really bad.

I guess I wouldn't mind having another veteran coming in. I would like a veteran to come in from Desert Storm especially. That would be really cool.

Tedeh said...

Well my opinion on it was Mr. church did a wonderful job he barelly used those note cards he made he had it down packed had intersting stories, though i think they need more interrtainment on those ship 4 years drifting to sea is horrible


Also it also thought that he was amzingly lucky to come back alize and able to te,lll his story to the younger generation becaue like Pauless said yea it was about 1k verterns deining a day so its good to have a chance to talk to one since i never met a veteren.

and vietnam war i wouldnt mind hearing well id wouldnyt mind anything ^_^

gregg said...

yes, i think that you should have more visitors from prior wars.
I found it interesting what mr. church had to say about the war. They did alot for our country and it should be noticed.

Cory Wedge said...

I also think that we should have more visitors from the past wars. It makes things alot easier to understand and learn from when your learning from someone that has actually been through all of it. I thought everything Mr. Church had to say was also very interesting, and im not a big fan of history; but I was zoned in and enjoying the things he shared with us.